The default Raspbian SD card image configures a default user account called
‘pi’ with a password of ‘raspberry’. Every device using this image will
therefore have the same username and password combination. This is great for
quickly getting starting but isn’t very good practice from a security point
You should therefore consider changing the default password as
soon as possible. It’s easy to do and only takes a minute. Here are the
simple steps you need to follow :
- From a command line prompt type passwd followed by
the Enter key.
- Enter the current password followed by the Enter key.
- Enter the new password followed by the Enter key.
- Re-enter the new password followed by the Enter key.
- Your password has now been changed.
Your screen will look something like the screenshot below:
Changing your default password is important if your Raspberry Pi is
connected to the Internet or you are using SSH. Change your password and
… oh just make sure you don’t forget the new password!